Thursday, March 19, 2015

Happy Birthday AVJ

Hello everyone,

First of all I need to warn you this is a verrrryyyy loooong post. :( Sorry about that... and second of all I would like to thank Belinda Basson for encouragement!

When I saw that A Vintage Journey Challenge Blog was celebrating their 1st birthday this month, I decided to create something very special for that occasion. I created a shadow box that looks like a book.


I'll show you how it all started...


I cut out a piece of cardboard from a box and covered it with glue inside and out and adhered white tissue paper that was previously all scrunched up. When that was dry I applied gesso and then crackle paste. I scored and cut a piece of heavy white cardstock to create a shadow box. AVJ monogram and all other cutouts you see in this collage were created from 6 cutouts each all glued together to give then extra dimension. Then all the cutouts were covered with black soot crackle paint. Keyhole and the key were embellished with liquid pearls prior to applying crackle paint.



Once the "book cover" was dry I applied distress paints: Black Soot, Vintage Photo, Rusty Hinge, Walnut Stain, Fired Brick and Antique Linen. There was alot of water spritzing, applying some more paint, then some more water spritzing involved in this process...And pictures above show the final product of it...


You can see what inks and stamps I used to create the shadow box and the beginning stage of it...


Once all the paint was dry, I adhered the cutouts...


Volume 1 represents the first birthday of AVJ of course :)


This is how the inside of the book looks like... It is a shadow box with a butterfly and metal trinkets....


I added the metal plate "enjoy the journey" on the top and colored it with Fired Brick Distress Paint and embellished it with ruby crystals.


I painted the butterfly with red acrylic paint and then covered it with Black Soot Crackle Paint. Then I applied Distress Paints: Fired Brick, Wild Honey, Tarnished Brass and Mustard Seed and added a few ruby crystals. I added a clock arm to the center to create it's body. You can also see a clock and a couple of gears in the bottom right corner...


This is how the back of the shadow box looks like...

As you can see from the photos and description, this project is not "Anything Tim" it is actually "Everything Tim" I used techniques seen in his tutorials for this years tags, plethora of paints, inks and embellishments...

I am entering this project into following challenges:

A Vintage Journey March Challenge "Anything Tim"

and

The Mixed Media World Challenge "Anything Goes"

I hope you enjoyed this way too long post...
Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by...

Samra

04/10/2015 UPDATE

With great pride and joy I  announce my win at A Vintage Journey





42 comments:

  1. Oh, my! What a huge wonderful transformation the box made...wow! All the distressing and paints along with the metal trinkets makes your creation a stunning beauty! Absolutely a true work of art...love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Maria thank you sooo much!!! I am so glad you stopped by to check out this project :) Have a wonderful day my dear :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Samra! Oh my Goodness! This is fabulous! I really love the dramatic look of the cover. The colour combination and the crackle are awesome! The butterfly is amazing.. This is a wonderful creation! Thank you for joining our challenge at Mixed Media World! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ingrid :) I am glad that you like my project :) When your challenge blog turns one, I'll do something special for you too :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Samara what s stunning shadow box you have created. The crackle and warm rusty colours are sensational. I can image all at AVJ will be blown away with your special surprise.

    Thank you for joining in with our challenge, hope to see you on the next one too.

    Mo:-)
    DT MWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mo :) I hope they'll like it at AVJ :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful project Samra! Love all the distressing and stamping! So much detail to admire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Samra, another stunner from you, my friend! It is a beautiful combination of grunge and romantic at the same time! I love the colors, crackle and that rusty look! So many awesome details! Perfect distressing! This is a fabulous piece of art!
    Hugs :)
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Branka :) Glad you like it :)

      Delete
  6. Samra, WOW! I actually saw it last night when I was posting my humble little project, but wanted to be able to take my "blog time" this morning to read through and enjoy your post. What a well thought out plan AND a brilliant piece of art you have made! And to top it all off, it is SO thoughtful, to make this especially for A Vintage Journey, using Tim's techniques. I am sure they will be blown away! Your color choices are perfect for this aged book and your crackle is amazing! And your rusty butterfly--LOVE! You have really hit the ball way out of the park on this, Samra! Bravo! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww my dear Sara :) thank you so much for your kind words :) I am glad you like what I made...

      Delete
  7. Wow!! What an amazing project ... Absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well.... I am speechless :) what a master piece !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Samra, I am actually speechless...seriously!! This is just about the most amazing project I have ever seen! What a miraculous transformation and it looks sooooo real! Your cover is incredible, pinned it...your butterfly is so full of texture, pinned it...and the entire shadow box idea is just out of this world, pinned it, pinned it, pinned it!!!! This is the project to beat, no doubt about it! A work of art my friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you sooo much my friend :) I am glad you approve :) See you on the dance floor :)

      Delete
  10. Wow Samra, what an outstanding project. The outside is perfectly crackled with beautiful accents. I love the theatrical look to the inside of your book. STUNNING !
    Thanks for joining in the challenge at AVJ and making such a special project To mark the one year celebrations and good luck.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julie! I am glad that you like what I made:) for AVJ 1st bday:)

      Delete
  11. I echo the others - WOW! what a great book - wonderful leather/crackle look, a lovely project to celebrate the AVJ 1st year! Thanks so much for joining in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW I am completely in awe what a brilliant project love all the texture/crackling and distressing absolutely brilliant
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  13. How..? (Jaw dropping) I mean.. how....???!! :) (Jaw on the floor) How do you do it?? This is amazing!! How do you do it, every single time...?? Gorgeous project after gorgeous project, soooo wishing I had your arty fingers :) This is mixed media heaven! I am just ever so slightly stuck for words on the beauty of this, so I'm going back to my first word... How? :)

    Huge hugs, Georgie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgie!!! Hope you're feeling better my dear! Well my work is puny attempt of making gorgeous stuff when it is compared to your creations. It took me a while to start painting that cover I made, cause I wasn't sure if it would turn out ok...luckily for me the paints just worked with me well and were kind to me with how they mixed with water.
      Thank you for such praise, I deserve only maybe half of it though:)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the shout out! I love a long post full of step out photos and instructions. This was beautifully presented and makes me want to create one too as it is full of all my favourite techniques and Timmy stuff. Well done on a great project and post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so very kindly Belinda :) I am glad you like it, since it was your book cover that inspired me to make something like this! Thank you so much for joining my blog! I truly appreciate it :)

      Delete
  15. This is really stunning - what a glorious contribution to the celebrations over at AVJ. The crackled cover and butterfly are beautiful, and there's a lovely subtle vintage glow to the whole creation. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely you could join the birthday celebrations at AVJ with this amazing work of art Samra.
    Thanks for hopping aboard and sharing the celebrations.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Samra! I'm so happy your book was chosen as the winner at AVJ! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Samra on your well deserved win! Your book box is fantastic! I am so happy for you! Bravo, my friend!
    Hugs :)
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your win at A Vintage Journey!! Completely deserved! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete